Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

These Are The Days

Don King & me in 2011
Oh the good ol' days... Don, always the charmer and quick with a quip. 

I never really got into the sport of boxing. Of course I appreciate the fighters as athletes and entertainers (not necessarily in that order) but had I not worked in the sport I would never buy a ticket to see a boxing match. But I do miss a lot about it. I miss the travel, the different cities, the different venues, the different people.  Dinners bar-side or late night room service, scotch on the plane in the forward cabin before takeoff, rental cars and GPS, turndown and laundry service. The best part was going to a new city for a week and discovering all that it had to offer. There is a lot I don't miss about it too like the maniacs, the ridiculous egos, the dangerous, late night walks from the venue to the hotel after the fight, the lonely hours. But the freedom I had was priceless - and it's never been matched. 

Don King with Terri & me in the 90s
I think back to those days fondly. I had the best boss ever. Brener. He left me alone to do my thing while I expanded his business and was a profit-generating machine. In return I asked for complete freedom and autonomy. It was the classic mutually beneficial relationship. I perform best when I'm left to my own devices. People leering over my shoulder asking for updates & status reports don't remain in my life for long. Either they go away or I move on. Life's too short and fantastic to be surrounded by people who make you nuts. These Are The Days. I'd better not waste them.


No comments:

Post a Comment