Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All The Way

I'm watching Harry Connick, Jr. on PBS's Great Performances. It brings back so many great memories of following him around the country. The Year of HCJR was my first venture into traveling alone for no other reason than sheer pleasure. 

Me & HCJR
I think I was 18, sophomore in college. Dropped everything, booked a flight to NYC to see Harry. Not sure I even told my parents. When I make my mind up to do something, I do it All The Way, ad nauseam. I was underage but had a fake ID, not that it mattered to travel but I remember going by myself to a jazz club and using it to order a Cote du Rhone with dinner. I was so adult back then. I've managed to regress with age. I had a backstage pass from a prior show and used fingernail polish remover to rid the Sharpie and re-write the NYC date. I still have an autographed pic of me and Harry from that night. It hangs in my hallway between my favorite golfer, Justin Leonard and Keanu Reeves. Man, I was ballsy even at 18. It's kind of funny that I ended up working at an arena doing what I do. This is the first time I've actually thought about that.

I think I saw between 8 & 10 HCJR concerts. I honestly can't remember it was so long ago. I do remember that I discovered him just before he hit the big time with the soundtrack to When Harry Met Sally. I think that's how I got into the good graces of his management; I was a fan before it was fashionable. It's funny, my friends make fun of me with all my Chris Botti banter. It was the same back in 1990 with Harry. I wonder who it will be in 2020?

Postscript:

I just Googled Harry and Wikipedia reads Bobby Colomby recommended him to Rob Reiner for the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack. Quel coincidence. Bobby is also the manager of Botti. Maybe I should be blogging about Colomby instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment