Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Favorite Things

Tulips, my sweet indulgence
I love tulips. I always have. I don't remember a specific moment or age when I discovered them and there is no significance to them for me. I just love their simplicity, their clean lines and crisp freshness. Since I stopped drinking, smoking, eating fast food - basically anything fun - tulips are among My Favorite Things, my sweet indulgence. Well that, and massages. And pedicures. And needlessly expensive fizzy water. And the occasional Romeo Y Julieta. And traveling to see Chris Botti.

Denmark Ashtray
Almost a decade ago while I turned 30, just after 9/11, I was in Copenhagen, Denmark working on a Tyson fight. Copenhagen was one of the most amazing cities I've ever visited. The fresh liver pate spread on crispy toast in the morning was to die for. I stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel (called the Radisson SAS back then I think). Great modern, architectural digs. Amazing staff. No big surprise - I spent a lot of time in the lobby bar of that hotel where they had these really cool ashtrays. They were stainless steel half domes with a pivot to dump your ashes. My friend Chrissy stole one for me for my birthday. I still have it. I always thought it would be a cool idea for restaurants for when you eat cherries or olives. You can put the pits in the bowl and then tip it to make the unsightliness disappear.

One afternoon we took a break from the Tyson credential madness and walked to Radhuspladsen (Town Square). There were people everywhere. I think they were on their way to a soccer match or maybe just celebrating one. I wasn't sure. I remember seeing people walking with cases of Carslberg on their shoulders, singing... and the street vendors with carts filled with hundreds of cut tulips. And not just one cart. Everywhere I looked there was another. And another. The sun was shining, it was a cool, crisp day and the square was alive with celebration, enthusiasm and tulips.

Dandelions
When I was young I used to imagine getting flowers. But I never wanted roses, or even tulips. I always thought it would be romantic for a boy to pick me dandelions. Yes, I know they're a weed but have you ever actually picked a dandelion before? They only last for about 30 minutes before they wilt. And unless you're wandering alongside a highway or in a country field they're not easy to find en masse. How lovely would it be to get a bouquet of 50 dandelions picked fresh and given quickly, as if time were of the essence. And really, isn't that the case? 

No comments:

Post a Comment