Popular Posts

Friday, March 4, 2011

I Miss You So

I worked late tonight, until around 11.30p. I love working in the office when no one is there. I blast Botti (& Cullum tonight) and sing my face off. Occasionally the cleaning crew catches me but I don't really care. I get the most done then. I come up with my best ideas after dark. 

Tonight when I was working on the ACMA estimate I was thinking about back to the days when I worked for IMG. My office was in a trailer on a golf course. When I got stressed, bored, tired or just for the hell of it I'd go hit balls on the range or put in my earbuds and listen to music while I putted for a hour. I miss those days. Or going back even further when I lived in the Twin Cities - I used to head to the University of Minnesota course and hit buckets of balls for hours at a time, sometimes even in the rain. I loved doing that. It was very calming, a great distraction. It's funny, now I live in Vegas where golf is everywhere and I haven't hardly picked up a stick in 8 years. Actually that's not true. My 7 iron is in my living room. I use it to hit George Bennett's toys around the house. It drives him nuts. 

I had some great times on the course. Once of the best guys I ever knew was there, Joe Genovese. He worked with IMG & Arnold Palmer Golf and handled course setup. Classic old school smoking curmudgeon, raspy voice, skin like tanned leather, calluses & cuts on his hands from putting up bunting, signs & stakes. He took me under his wing and taught me a lot. I proved to him I wasn't afraid of manual labor or getting dirty. He liked me because I worked my ass off for him. I loved that I earned his respect. Not many people, girls especially, did. Joe had a sidekick, Baldy. Baldy was my age and smart as a whip. Great guy. Warm laugh. Irritatingly patient. I had a crush on him. Shocking, I know. Best memories I have of that time in my life were hanging out with them working on the course.

I remember one day it was stormy but we still had work to do. We were all in our rain gear but soaked to the bone. It was a cold day too. It started lightening so we all stopped working on the fairways, pulled up our golf carts to the range and hung out under the awning at Rush Creek. We drank coffee and laughed for and hour and a half waiting for the weather to pass. I don't remember what we talked about or whose story cracked who up. I just remember the feeling, the spirit of that afternoon. One of those rare moments that stick with you.

Joe's gone now. He died about 10 years ago of cancer. He was only in my life for a short time. Not even a chapter, maybe just a page or 2 but he had more of an impact than people who are still with me, people I see on a daily basis even now. I have a pic of me, Joe, Baldy and a couple other pals from my golf days in a frame. I look at it sometimes to remind me of the good ol' days. I Miss You So Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment