Popular Posts

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Notre Dame Victory March

Undercard press conference
I'm sitting in the press room of the Cotto vs. Mayorga fight in the Studio Ballroom at the MGM Grand. Right now some members of the press are doing one-on-one interviews with some of the undercard fighters. Couple of photographers are here snapping pics. Lots of PR & promotion staff milling about. It's Thursday so a quiet press room is pretty typical. 

Manny & Kieran, is a 1-on-1
interview or are they playing poker?
Manny Steward is with one of his fighters. He's got a warm smile: he smiles with his eyes. My pal Kieran who writes & blogs for ESPN.com is here too. One of his passions is the environment, another the polar bear. Funny, I never would have guessed. He's written several books. I think that's amazing. Sometimes writing this meaningless blog seems daunting. Can't imagine writing a book - that people would buy! I learned other good stuff about him today that I didn't know before too. Kieran, if you ever read this, good luck at the Wheel of Fortune slot machine at McCarran! 

Media grabbing some grub
My friend Nobu and I are reminiscing about old days we shared in boxing too. He and Akemi took me under their wing. They're incredibly generous people. I got to tag along to some amazing restaurants. Akemi even treated me to my first Prada wallet. She's a doll and not just beecause she bought me that, but because she's always looking out for me, interested in how I'm doing, looking out for my growth and still taking me to fantastic restaurants.

Bob Arum holding court
The undercard presser for Cotto vs. Mayorga is about to start. There are about 200 or so milling about, grabbing food, talking state of boxing & gossiping. Ugh, someone around me has a ridiculous amount of cologne on. The only saving grace is that it's lemon scented. Kinda smells like Pledge. 

Bob Arum is at the podium speaking about his undercard fights. For nearly 80 he's in great shape and still sharp as a tack. He's brash, insulting, unassuming and smart as a whip. He's got those great rosy, flushed cheeks that I love so much too. His voice carries and holds a room's attention like no one's can. I tried to friend him on FB but he didn't respond. I guess I'm too beneath him. It's ok. He wouldn't get my posts anyhow. I don't see Bob as a Chris Botti fan. I see more Springsteen or McCartney loaded on his iPod.

Baltimore Raven Tommy Zbikowski
This fight is a Showtime fight. There have been lots of jabs at HBO by Bob Arum for losing the Pacquiao vs. Mosley fight. He blames them for the decline of boxing. I made my start in boxing with Showtime back around 1998. Hardly anyone I worked with is still there now, just couple of high level production guys. It was nice that they remembered me after all these years. That was a nice boost to my ego. It's a whole new ballgame. But I do miss my HBO family.

Bryant & Tommy Z
Who the hell is that on the dais? Holy crap Tommy Zbikowski is so cute. He's the Notre Dame alum / Baltimore Raven safety on the card. He's only fought once but won by knockout. Hey, how can you not cheer for a current NFL player who moonlights as a boxer who wears a tie and argyle! He might be the only fighter I've ever seen that I'm actually attracted to - and he went to Notre Dame so he can't be a moron! (He's much cuter in person!) This fight just got a whole lot more exciting. 

Presser is almost over. It's 12.30p. I'm hungry. Time to go grab a banana & a granola bar for lunch back to my office to do things I really don't want to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment