Popular Posts

Saturday, March 5, 2011

03.05.11 Eric Clapton @ MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

30 min before doors to Clapton
It's 10 minutes to doors for Eric Clapton tonight @ the Grand Garden. In truth I couldn't give a fat rat's ass about seeing the show. I'm sitting in J's office on my Air. He's on his Pro. We're both a couple of Mac nerds. Well, I just became one; he's always been one. The kid's like stupid smart. I admit, when he first got to the arena I didn't get him. It took me about a year for me to figure him out. Now that I have he's turned out to be one of my favorite people. His raw intelligence evokes a bit of envy but mostly I just think he's cool. 

We all ate like kings with AZ Catering
Clapton's production team is as laid back as they come. Classic case of like-attracting-like, of a modified trickle-down-theory, of actions reflecting leadership. I was sitting in tour catering having a fabulous dinner by Arizona Catering (@arizonacatering). I look over at the next table and it's Clapton himself. He wasn't holed up like a prisoner in his dressing room. A true rockstar, he was simply a man enjoying good company with his crew.

Clapton on stage
His tour manager is a soft-spoken, uncomplicated Brit. God, I love the British. Always have. I love the people, the pace, the culture and yes, the accent. How could you not? Sadly, I've only really been there once when I did a UFC fight @ Royal Albert Hall. Yep, that's right. UFC @ Royal Albert Hall. Crazy, huh! I've been there on connections but never really spent any real vacation time there. It's on my list of things to do. What would be great is if Botti did another UK show. I saw he just added a Russia date. That's a little far for me. But London I could handle.

"She likes to be held close."
Mick is at the Grand Garden too. He is one of my favorite people on earth. He's got a joie de vivre that can't be put into words. It's something you have to experience. He oozes love - not smarmy, old man-bimbo love but true warmth and generosity of spirit. He's someone you just want to be around, unconsciously gravitate towards. Hear people having a good time? Mick's there. He makes you laugh and not take yourself too seriously. If I learn anything from Mick it's to spend time with people you love, who make you love, who make you laugh. I don't think it's a coincidence he's an ex-pat Brit. He lives out of what is affectionately referred to as the "promoter-home." I used to make fun of people with RVs. Now I think he might be onto something. He often posts pics of his view from his promoter-home on the beach, along the canyon, facing a sunset, passing thru another city. He's figured out that home, love & fulfillment doesn't necessarily need to be stationary. 

Clapton & band after encore
I think my path is leading to the UK. Not sure how I'm gonna get there. Not sure what I'm going to do with George Bennett. Not sure what I'll do when I get there. But I think it's time for a serious look at where I am, what I'm doing and why I'm here in Vegas.

That's one of the things that draws me to Botti. He's spent the greater part of a decade traveling the world calling home whatever hotel room he was in, living out of a suitcase. He found a passion that grounded his spirit when his body was anything but.


My pal Peter once told me a very long time ago, "Now fly little birdie, Fly." What I didn't realize until now - that wasn't a one-time deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment