Popular Posts

Monday, May 9, 2011

There's Nothing Better Than Love

My parents arrived in Vegas this afternoon. We had dinner at M Resort's Terzetto. Good steak but not great. Adequate. But we didn't go for the food. It was our time together. They came to Vegas to spend time with me. Just me. Even when I go back home, I go to see them, my brothers, my friends, other family. But when they come to Vegas, they're only coming because of me. That's an amazing feeling. No one else in my life does that. That's the love of a parent to a child. 

The older I get the more amazing I find my parents. Married for nearly 55 years, 76 in age, 3 kids, still spry and traveling the world. They've made a nice life for themselves. I aspire every day to be like the best of both of them - whether consciously or not. I blame them for my inability to maintain any kind of romantic relationship. How can I when I have them as my role models? Impossible standard to live up to. Ok, I don't really blame them but I have no doubt their example has helped shape who I seek out and why I haven't settled for Joe Schmo. 

I also asked them some more questions about why they adopted me. It wasn't until I hit my 30s that I really started to get curious, and it wasn't until my late 30s that I got the courage to actually ask them. It's not that they didn't want to share. I just don't think it occurred to them that I would want to know why they wanted to adopt a baby after having 2 boys naturally and being fully capable of having another but opting to get one from across the world instead. To them it wasn't a big leap and they didn't consider it taking any kind of extraordinary measures. Just matter-of-factly, adopt. But to me it brings me nearly to tears to think of how lucky I am, how much I love my parents and how grateful I am that God, the forces of destiny, and Northwest Airlines brought me to them and them to me. There's Nothing Better Than Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment