Popular Posts

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bye Bye

I went to church again today at Green Valley Presbyterian. Dr Harper had a death in his family. Apparently the #2 guy was out too so some other guy ran the service. The fill in did an ok job - he readily admitted he was NOT a pastor but when he said the word "testimony" I almost turned around and walked out. It was simply a word choice but to me that conjures up an ignorant image of southern tent revivals à la Steve Martin in Leap Of Faith. But I sat thru it, tried to appreciate the fact that this middle aged high school teacher stepped in at the last minute, and bit my tongue.

Since it was Mother's Day I got a gift. A Green Vally Presbyterian Church pen. I'm not a mom but apparently the mere fact that I have a womb qualifies me to receive one. How very inclusive of them - very Presbyterian.

All I can say is thank God this wasn't my first service there - or it would have been Bye Bye for me. As it stands I'll be back next Sunday. I'm not sure it's doing anything for my soul but my head seems a bit clearer after I spend an hour listening to someone else talk about the possibilities of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment