Popular Posts

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Down To Earth

Tonight I had dinner at Craftsteak with Michael. I'd been on a boycott of the bar there for about 6 years. Last time I was at the bar I looked at the wine-by-the glass menu and asked the bartender for a glass of the "Nevada" champagne. This old, crotchety man looked at me over the top of his glasses like I ordered a glass of urine. I pointed it out on the menu and in his most condescending 'tude said, "NV is 'non vintage' not 'Nevada'." I felt so small that I vowed never to go back, at least as long as he was employed there. In the years since I've peeked in to see if he was still behind the bar and haven't seen him so I'm sure he retired long ago - at least I hope he did. Recently my friend Lauren left Seablue to go work there and she's been trying to get me to frequent her place ever since - so I gave it s shot. Have to say: LOVED it. I love the ambience there. Great contemporary clubby feel. Place you want to smoke a cigar in - only can't. In hindsight it was silly of me to have stayed away for so long. But that's me. When I hold a grudge, I hold it for a long time. 

Michael and I had a lot to catch up on. He's always a good one to chat about theoretical things. He talked about his (near primal) need to want to make a difference, to literally change the world; I told him I only hope to affect the lives of the people around me. He's looking to shift the world's consciousness; I am looking to keep my sanity thru the end of the year. He's a 'big' thinker, so much so that I can't comprehend it sometimes but I like listening to his ideas. It broadens my scope beyond my own selfish circle. 

We ordered oysters, I had a cucumber salad. He ordered the spareribs and I had the skirt steak. Both excellent. The asparagus and broccolini were good too. No crap on it. Just good, simple food done well. I don't like it when chefs put fancy wine reductions and cheeses on things. Just give me the food the way it was meant to taste. But I'm finicky like that. That's why I could never really be a foodie or a food critic. I'll try anything once but if you get tricky or concoct something, chances are I'm not gonna order it again or come back. 

At some point during our main course Michael did ask me a question about a guy tonight that took me off guard - he's good at that. He asked me simply, "Tell me why you like him. Sell him to me. Go." It's complicated and I'm still trying to sort it out in my head. At some point I'll write about it but I'm terrible at saying exactly what I want to say exactly when I want to say it so I've got to think about it some more. Or maybe I know exactly what I want to say but am too afraid to write it down. Then it becomes real.  

Lauren popped back over and asked if we wanted desert. We were so stuffed we passed. 2 hours later we hit the road and walked back to our cars. It was a good night, one that I needed. A sincere, Down To Earth, adult, no-bullshit conversation about life. Everyone needs someone in their life who will be honest with them, even when it's not fun or pretty or hurts. I think that's what a true friend is called. 

No comments:

Post a Comment