Popular Posts

Sunday, May 22, 2011

05.22.11 Billboard Music Awards @ MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

The Billboard Music Awards
Tonight is the Big Day. Billboard Music Awards. Started out my day by going to Green Valley Presbyterian - the early service. I've been there for the past 4 weeks; I didn't want to break my streak. So I hauled ass out of bed by 7.30a and was at church by 9.00a.

Neil Diamond singing Sweet Caroline
Got to work around 10.15ish. Everything was going well although you could definitely tell we were in show mode. People buzzing everywhere - and I mean EVERYWHERE. It's so fun to see the arena like this. It's simply amazing that everyone has a job to do, does it and the show happens. I know that sounds simple but there are so many moving pieces to a show like this that it still amazes me.

I spent my morning running around putting out fires. Someone needs a robe, the wrong kind of golf cart was delivered, one of the labor guys didn't show up, PR chick needs power, blah blah blah. But all in all things were going well.

Red (white) carpet
At 2.00p we planned on having a front-of-house security meeting with the producers and my team. We worked out some of the kinks like the Beyonce flag gag, the seat fillers, the b-stage, the lighting trusses that were in the seats until the spot ops could get into the baskets for the show, cable trays to look out for, resetting the chairs on the floor that got messed up from produciton in rehearsals, you name it. But it all got worked out. At 3.30p I got the thumbs up from Eric Cook the line producer to open doors. And away we go!

Nicki Minaj
I made it out to the red carpet about 10 minutes before it started but never did see it in action. That's the hard part of the job that people don't realize. I rarely get to see the show or the red carpet or whatever. I'm busy putting out fires elsewhere. Now truth be told, I did watch the open with Rihanna and Britney but had no desire to really watch any more of the show so Trubes and I hit Seablue for dinner. Hey, girl's gotta eat.

Fans at the red carpet
After dinner I headed back to my office to finish up some last minute emails from UFC before heading out stage left for the finale. That's a perk of the job. I can go and stand anywhere in the arena, even side stage. That I will admit is friggin' awesome. I took some pics of Neil Diamond as he accepted his Lifetime Achievement Award or whatever Billboard calls it. Then Neil started to sing Sweet Caroline. Soo cool to hear the entire arena singing in unison "Sweet Caroline. Bamp. Bamp. Bamp. Good times never felt so good. So good! So good! So good!" Now that was cool. Like goosebumps cool.
Me @ the b-stage

Tonight was an excellent night. Made all the headaches, drama, moronic conversations & ridiculous requests worthwhile. This is why I do what I do, work the hours I do, do it well and love doing it. Tonight I loved my job. 

For more pics hit my FB page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment