Popular Posts

Saturday, April 9, 2011

04.09.01 Morales vs. Maidana @ MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

The arena before doors
7.30p. Katsidis is in the ring. It's round 4 of 12. It's the 1st time I've had a chance to actually come into the arena to catch a fight since doors @ 3.00p. Normally I've got plenty of time and hang around during the undercard fights but tonight I had to handle all the essential tasks for next week since I'll be out of town. I've been holed up in my office for the past 4 hours. Like a caged animal it's time for me to escape. 
MGM stagehands putting on
rope spacers

No major dramas today. Pretty smooth really. Anthem singers are always a cluster. The promoter of the event secures them and usually handles their credentials, access & guides them on where to go and what to do - but invariably I end up babysitting some part of it. Luckily today Raul with GBP handled it. The woman singing it is like 10' tall. It will be interesting to see how she does.

Tecate girls, for your enjoyment
The arena is on it's feet cheering for Guerrero the guy pummeling Katsidis. The Arena isn't very full. It's always a bad thing when you can see green chairs. That means there are no butts in them. 

There's also this weird thing that the boxing promoters have been doing in our building lately - they put up a stage for a band. Yes, that's right. A band. I'm not sure what that's all about and it's even more strange given they also have a DJ. I'm not a fan of the band but whatever. It fills up space & dead air. 

Mick Katsidis in the ring
7.36p there's a fight in the stands. Metro & security go running to section 13. That garners as much attention and cheers from the audience as the fight in the ring. Crowd brawls always do. 

Straight men who might be reading this: pay attention now. We have new ring card girls and brand-spanking-new outfits. The girls are ridiculously tall, thin and boob-a-licious... and sweet. There are usually 3 of them. They take turns during the rounds. I guess men get bored looking at the same hot bods for 50+ rounds and require some variety. If you only knew what a production it is to select them, get them approved, outfit them, do hair & makeup, get them ringside and in & out of the ropes, you'd be shocked. Yes, I realize many of you men (and prob some women) would love to have that job. But alas it's taken by a superb team here @ MGM. If you watch the PPV or HBO broadcasts you might catch a glimpse of Bo. He's the little dude in the tux who holds the rings for the girls. Great man. 
Like a well manicured lawn

7.45p It's round 8 of 12 and people are booing the ref for calling Katsidis on low blows and taking off a point. Boxing pundits have tagged this as the best fight of the night. 

One of the cool things about boxing is the 10 second warning. It's a very distinct sound that not all ringside referees use. The Nevada State Athletic Commission uses, quite simply, 2 wooden blocks - and knocks them together wide side. It's remarkably loud. I've been in boxing for almost 15 years & I've seen and heard other commissions use other methods. None are as effective as the blocks. There's a lesson in that. Sometimes simple is better.

Maidana walks to ring
8.00p The final round of Katsidis & Guerrero. God, Katsidis' face looks like hell. Unrecognizable. He is getting beat to a pulp. Both men are at war. Their bodies are tired but they don't stop. When one gets hit you can see the spray of sweat and blood fly like a sprinkler out into the air. It disgusting yet poetic. You might think it's cool to be a photographer on the apron but lemme tell you. It's gross. You get all kinds of bodily fluids on you. It happened to me once. Once.  That's all it took. I've never been back since.

Robert Guerrero wins by unanimous decision. It was never in question.

Ring clears and we're getting prepped for the main event.

Andres Reyna rehearsing
Mexican Anthem
It's 8.19p Anthems are being sung. HBO getting ready to do the main event ring walks. I'm in the locker room hallway trying to catch a Twitpic. It's not easy with my crappy CrackBerry.

Just finished capturing Maidana & Morales ring walks as they go from the dressing rooms and to the ring. It's all carefully timed and choreographed by HBO. Like a dance only with sweaty men who put vaseline on their faces and kick the shit out of each other. Once they round the corner by me they are stopped by security and Metro so that only 5 cornermen do the ring walk with the fighter. That's all we and the NSAC allow. They always try and push the envelope but we do a good job of stopping it. Having men with guns helps.
Hijo del Santo aka Freaky Mask Guy

There's this scary little man with a silver mask on. One of my tweeps told me he's "Hijo del Santo" a legendary Mexican wrestler. He's about 4' tall with a full mask on a la Pulp Fiction s&m. It's beyond creepy. I may not go to bed tonight for fear of nightmares. 




Morales getting ready to walk
Once again I'm sitting in a chair with DQ standing next to me while I type on my Air. He's watching the fight. I'm watching the audience. They're definitely into it. There are prob close to 6,000 people in here. It doesn't look to bad actually.

8.44p people are chanting Meh-he-co and stomping on the seats. Lots of moans & groans. Good stuff. The atmosphere is electric. This is what fight fans come to see and feel. This is what the MGM Grand Garden Arena is known for.

8.53p Crowd loves these two. They're putting on a great fight. They're little dudes too. It's always surprising to me that the fighters are so small. And when you see them up close you think, "I could take you." Morales has a big bump on his eye. That's gonna mean a trip to the hospital. (Note: it did. Morales went to the hospital after the fight. According to Golden Boy Promotions, he's ok.)

Oscar @ the post fight presser
One great thing about boxing - and I've probably mentioned it in my blogs & tweets - they end early. Unlike a concert where the main act doesn't hit the stage until 9.00p sometimes. And if the fight ends in a KO we close up shop even earlier. It's a fun atmosphere but I'm never sad when they end. I try not to take the benefits of my job for granted but like everyone, after a long day I just want to go home and chill.

Favorite part of the night - chair racks
I still have about an hour of stuff to wrap up before I leave for a week so I'm going back to my office and leaving the arena bowl. I'll hear who won on my walkie. (Maidana by majority decision 116-112, 116-112, 114-114.)

If you were here I hope you had a great time. If you weren't here, come to the MGM Grand Garden Arena sometime and experience a fight live. You won't regret it. And let me know if you do. I'll hook you up with some goodies.

Zopfi. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment