Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Viva Las Vegas

I've been in Vegas for over 12 years. Times I love it; times I hate it. Right now I'm as comfortable here as I'll ever be. I still call the Twin Cities home though. I'll always be a Minnesota girl at heart. 

But you take the good with the bad. One of the most irritating things about living in Vegas is the sheer volume of people I know who come to visit. Don't get me wrong. 80% of them I love and can't wait to hook up with. Especially those peeps that are fun & I haven't seen in a long time. But it's irks me that they expect me to drop everything and come out to see them. Believe it or not, I do have a life, oh, and a job that keeps me working weekends and evenings. When I'm in Fresno (yeah right) I don't Facebook my friend Joe Schmo who I haven't seen in a decade and say, "Hey Joe. I'm in town for the weekend. Wanna cancel your current plans & have dinner?" I know people come to Vegas to have a good time and I'm all for supporting tourism. It's because you blow your wad here that I don't have to pay state income taxes. So thanks for that. But Christ. Get some perspective. You play here. I play here AND live here. There's a difference.

Or worse yet is when I get the "what's fun to do in Vegas" or "what restaurants are good" or "what show should I go see" questions. Ever heard of google, Yelp, Twitter or god-forbid vegas.com? Or just view my tweets. Any restaurant, club or show I like usually gets tweeted, a lot. I'm not a fucking travel agent or a concierge or your mother. Wanna know the easiest route from the airport to your hotel? Get in a goddamn cab. Where should you stay? Well, are you a cheap-ass or can you afford a $500 room night? Wonder how much rooms are at the MGM? Go to mgmgrand.com. How much is it to hike at Red Rock? Fuck if I know. I don't hike. Can you walk across the Hoover Dam? Who cares but if you keep asking me stupid questions, I'm pretty sure I can throw you off it. So frustrating. It's to the point now I literally have a standard 2 paragraph schpeel saved that I cut and paste into emails to my friends asking questions like this. 

Yeah, I realize I'm being a total bitch by admitting this but anyone who's not smart enough to google "things to do in Vegas" isn't smart enough to get to this blog so I'm not worried. I loathe helpless people. 

Like I said, you take the good with the bad. And most of it is good. So come on down to Sin City & Viva Las Vegas. Just don't fucking as me what you should do when you get here or ask me for any shit.

(Note: if you're reading this and I do know you and you have visited me in Vegas, of course this blog wasn't directed at you. You're the exception.)

4 comments:

  1. now that's a solid rant even if im not one this is directed at. Haha. I agree with every word. I tend to follow the "leave me the fuck alone" motto even at home so I can only imagine how annoying it can be to assumed to be a personal guide for anyone that isn't paying you! :-)
    -@b_norberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little worked up and bored when I wrote that. I meant every word but will prob continue to answer their ridiculous questions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. next time im in Vegas i think im going to ask you for VIP line pass to the Excalibur buffet just for shits and giggles :-)

    ReplyDelete