Popular Posts

Sunday, March 11, 2012

03.11.12 311 @ MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

311 rocking out
Day 2 of 311. By now everything was on cruise control so I didn't make an appearance until about 3.00p. Given the hour we lost to Daylight Savings it really felt like 2.00p. And like clockwork my boy Dave was there so I knew everything was oky doky. I text him earlier in the morning to make sure the place hadn't burned down. I think he responded, "Just trying to stay awake" or something to that effect. 

I didn't make it to church today. When my alarm went off at 9.00a I was so tired. When I got home last night I made the mistake of staying up until 4.00a watching HBO's Game Change. It was fantastic but I paid the price the next morning. Church would have to wait until next Sunday.

Front of the GA section
The afternoon flew by. Before I knew it I was doing another security briefing with my team - basically said, "Remember what you did last night? Do it again tonight. End of meeting." My team is so amazing. If it weren't for them I never would have taken the job 6+ years ago. I used to handle operations and credentials for boxing before I started at the MGM but one of my clients was the Grand Garden Arena so I knew many of them for many years before I worked there. In fact, that's why I got the job, because I had a previous relationship with the arena and the folks there knew me and how I operated. It was win/win and the perfect fit. 

Stage left
Before I knew it I was standing in front of the stage with the production manager Daniel waiting for the ok for early entry doors again. Here we go. The kids come rushing in. Probably about 400 of them. Then the throngs of general public. The initial crowd tonight was significantly thinner than last night. We had a bet going that most of them forgot about Daylight Savings and losing the hour so they'd all come around 9.00p, thinking it was 8.00p - and we were right. Around 9.00p the turnstiles were jam packed. We got them in quickly and most didn't miss a beat. 

Good night!
Once again, when the band hit the stage I headed up to Seablue for a bite. It was pretty dead which was fine by me. I'm not a big fan of crowds - which is kind of silly given I work on shows with crowds in excess of 16,000 sometimes. I don't like loud music either, unless I'm in my car, working out or cleaning my house. Goofy. I ordered a simple hamburger, sans bun, condiments, fries & vegis. Only shredded lettuce. Chef Tony came out to check & make sure that's actually what I wanted. "Yep,"I told him with my sincere apologies. I just bastardized his hamburger. Honestly, he didn't seem to mind. Mike, one of the cooks came over to double check my order with me too. "You've never ordered this before," he said. Yeah, sometimes a girl just wants a hunk of beef. 

Around 10ish I head back to the arena and check out a couple songs. I tried to look for Bill, bartender @ Seablue but couldn't remember where I got them seats. I hooked him up with tics so he could take his girlfriend and my other friends Premo & Anna. Premo used to be a bartender @ Seablue too. They Facebooked me later saying they had a good time. 

Confetti cannons 
Before I knew it, it was midnight. I headed back out to the floor and did a couple walkthroughs. On GA floors we create 'moats' on each side of the floor for emergency egress. I head down the house right moat and snap a couple pics of the band from stage left. Jake, 311 venue security guy gives me a tap on the shoulder and a smile. We talk a little about the band's transportation out on Monday but it's so loud the convo doesn't last long. I head back up the moat and to the other side. The band's on their last song and I know the confetti cannons are about ready to fire so I stand back and watch. 

Another great night of 311. The concert is over but the VIP room has lots of people milling about. One of the guitar players is in the room but it still clears out quite quickly. By 1.00a everyone is clear. By 2.00a I'm headed home. Monday is my day to rest. To do laundry. To run errands. To order sushi. To drink Pellegrino. To hang with the dog. To live a normal life - at least for 1 day.

311 Set List - Sunday

Set 3
Down
Rock On
Grass Roots
Hive
Sever
Off Beat Bare Ass
Amber
Firewater
You Wouldn't Believe
And A Ways To Go
Applied Science
Jupiter
There's Always An Excuse
Brodels
Trouble
Still Dreaming
Beyond The Gray Sky
Creatures

Set 4
Cali Soca
Speak Easy
Stealing Happy Hours
Life's Not A Race
Use Of Time
Too Much Too Fast
Lucky
DLMD
8:16am
Beautiful Disaster
Uncalm
Juan Bond
Eons
I Told Myself
All Mixed Up
Gap
Homebrew
Who's Got The Herb
Livin' N Rockin'
Random
Sometimes Jacks
Feels So Good

No comments:

Post a Comment