Popular Posts

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rollercoaster

It was unseasonably cold in Vegas today - in the 40s. I was tempted to stay in my warm bed but instead got up and went to church. I had been looking forward to it all week. I walked in and it wasn't crowded. I took a seat in my spot and sat back for a little spiritual recharge. 

About half way thru the sermon I shifted in my seat and 2 pews ahead I could see a familiar blue dress shirt, one that I had grabbed off the floor and threw on in the morning on a couple of occasions. It was Counselor. I hadn't seen him before partly because I didn't expect him to be there early, partly because I didn't expect him to be on this side of the sanctuary and partly because he was almost completely obstructed by the woman sitting in front of me. I mentioned before, I used to be able to sense when he was around. I can't do that anymore. It's funny too because he was so close I could almost touch him. 

After the service ended I don't think he even saw me. He almost walked by. Or maybe he did and just didn't want to talk to me. I reached out and squeezed his arm. "Happy St. Patrick's Day," I said. The woman sitting next to me was gabbing about something so he said, "I'll wait for you outside."

Small talk in the courtyard was as chilly as the temperature. He mentioned that Bryce @ DW Bistro was expanding his other business and asked me if I'd gone out last night. I told him I was on the wagon. He scoffed. "What are you up to today? he asked. I didn't say much. I wasn't trying to be mysterious or coy. I just didn't know what to say because "nothing" seemed either too empty or too desperate. He's distant and I'm so guarded now. I sensed a lot of disdain and irritation from him. Like he did not want to see me. "Well, have a nice Sunday," he said as he turned to leave.

Our chapter is almost over. Sometimes you can feel when something is about to come to an end. It's like the end of a Rollercoaster when the car jerks to a slower pace, the tracks straighten out and you can see the platform ahead. You know you have to get off.

No comments:

Post a Comment