Popular Posts

Friday, March 9, 2012

Monkey Business

Today was better than yesterday. Not sure what this funk is that I'm in. I think I am just grieving a little over the loss of my previous lifestyle. There's no disputing, it was fun. I'm trying to get my sense-memory back on how good it felt to be healthy, work out, eat right, think straight. 

Throughout the day random 311 fans were milling about, trying to sneak into the venue for a peek or to see the sound check. It's funny to watch them. Our arena is situated a little differently than most so when the band is playing you can actually hear them (albeit muffled) thru the locked doors. Several people had their ears plastered to the doors trying to catch a song or 2. Harmless, but funny. I guess part of me gets it. I was (still am) a Chris Botti fan and followed him around the country listening to the same setlist, hearing the same jokes & shtick, getting the same post-show m&g pic with him. When you like something, nothing seems crazy in the attempt at getting closer to it.

The night ended like many - at Seablue with Trubes. I got a 4 pack of tics to 311 for Bill the bartender. In my 8+ years of knowing him he's only ever asked me for tickets once - to some 80s band whose name I can't remember - at the Palms. I couldn't come thru and still feel bad about that. When he asked for tics to 311 there was no way I was going to refuse. Bill's been with me thru all my boy-drama, all my job woes, all my highlights & lowlights. And when I need it most, he gives me the cold, hard, brutal truth. He doesn't know it but he's been one of the most influential people in my life and one I'm terribly grateful for. 

Tonight we got a to-go order but I decide to try the new (actually old because they used to have it years ago and brought it back) Root Beer Float that's on the desert menu. It's yummy. Got some decaf tea too. That was strategic. I did want the tea but I also wanted the baby spoon - the replacement for the caviar spoon that Counselor still has. Speaking of him - he called me today. "Do you have (Joe Schmo's) cel phone number?" he asks. "Yeah, I'll text it to you." "You want me to send you my number?" "Uhm, it's the one you called me from, right?" "Oh, yeah." He could have gotten that number from about 10 other people just as easily. I don't know why he called me for it. Is he trying to flaunt himself in front of me & make me feel bad that I don't have him? An oh-so-subtle reminder that some part of me isn't good enough for him? I don't know why I answered my phone either. I have Counselor listed in my contacts as 'Do Not Answer' so now when caller ID pops up on the screen it literally reads 'Do Not Answer.' But little good it did. It's almost worse. It makes me want to answer it more. 

Trubes and I finished up and we headed out. A short but good night. Two days of 311 starts tomorrow so I'm going to get a good night's sleep and get ready for 40 hours of a band I've never heard of until we booked them. I am looking forward to seeing VP-guy. Not sure what else to call him and still protect his privacy. We work in the same industry and have been flirting for the past 6 months or so. Never actually been out with him (other than on business stuff) but given the opportunity there'd definitely be some Monkey Business going on. We'll see how the weekend goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment