Popular Posts

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Easy To Remember

Tonight I went to my pal Jay's 40th surprise birthday party at Republic Kitchen. (It was actually the site of my pal Sumo's 40th birthday too but back then it was Fado's.) I got there late, not fashionably but because I literally laid down to take a nap in the sunlight with the dog and didn't wake up until his wife text me. Yeah, not a brilliant move on my part because Jay's one of my closest confidantes. He, much like the rest of the brain trust, are my closest friends. He's a good guy and - by leaps and bounds - the smartest guy I know. He and his wife Melissa are so remarkably perfect for each other, much like DQ and his wife. Gives me hope that it exists. 

Anyhow, I get there late and there are about 30 people mingling around. I know about 10 of them. Walking into a crowd of strangers never bothered me though. Being social and fearless in that regard is a skill at which I excel. I work the room a bit and eventually make it around say hi to the birthday boy and his wife. He looks happy. So does she. 

Sitting on the corner of the black leather sofa is a tall, dark haired guy. He looks kind of familiar but I don't remember his name. Luckily Jay introduces me to him. I still don't recall what it is but immediately after he stands up so I can shake his hand I remember it's the guy Jay mentioned I might like. Strange because I usually come up with a trick about people so their name is Easy To Remember but this time it didn't work. He'll just have to be Actor-guy. At least I think Jay said he's an actor. Creative-type. Quiet. A little mysterious. He didn't have the bad-boy vibe but rather a cool reservation about him. Although I will say, quel annoyance, he had a bluetooth earpiece in. Ugh. He had it in all night, even when he played pool. It was such a strange juxtaposition. Jeans, leather jacket, tattoos I'm sure - and a bluetooth. He pretty much steered clear of me so I took that as a sign I'm not up his alley either. It's funny the people your friends think you'd be interested in. He was good looking though. Great hands. Strong. Good at pool too. 

Since I wasn't drinking and had enough of the smalltalk I said my goodbyes after about an hour. Jay did his best linebacker move to try to get me to stay. "What, are you going to see (Counselor)!" he jibes. "Nope," I smirk. "Then at least tell me you're gettin' a bootie call from Tequila-guy!" Yeah, Jay knows more about my life than most. 

I make the drive back to the southwest side of town, home. I just wanted to eat some Seablue leftovers with George Bennett, drink a bottle or 2 of Pellegrino and watch whatever new movie is on HBO tonight. 

Mission accomplished. 

(Postscript: Turns out the guy wasn't Actor-guy. "I'd never set you up with this guy. He's definitely got some bodies buried somewhere." Whew. Thank god.)

No comments:

Post a Comment