Popular Posts

Monday, February 14, 2011

My Funny Valentine

Ok, so My Funny Valentine is an obvious choice but I can't always be clever.

I'm not terribly distraught about being single on Valentine's Day. Today started off as just another Monday I took off after an event. Weather was great in Vegas so I took George Bennett out for a long walk. I used to hate taking walks; I remember back in college Terri used to try to get me to walk around Lake Calhoun all the time. Now I find my walks are critical to keeping sane and insulated from the mindless ass-kissing that goes on at work or the tireless self-examination of what my life is in comparison to my friends. Aside from the obvious physiological benefits, at this stage in my life the walks provide so much more. When the sun hits my face and I can feel the rays laying a soft glow of tan I think of it like a layer of protection, like a shield from the stings of criticism, rejection, pity & disdain. It doubles as an insulator to keep the insecurities, self-loathing & monstrous ego inside... well most of the time.

Late in the day my phone started ringing. Caller ID said work. I was already in the middle of reading idiotic emails and thought no way. Not answering today. Leave a message. Luckily they did. It's funny how a phone call can change everything. It was the bell desk saying I had roses waiting for me. I'm not going back to the office for a couple days and I was dying to know so I called to see who would have sent me flowers. I thought maybe my parents. Hoped they were from M but why would he send me flowers today of all days. No signature but a note that left little question it was him. It would be great if this was the start of a great love story I could read to my grandkids but experience tells me it was nothing more than a lovely gesture from a good man - so that's what I'm going with. Nothing wrong with a lovely gesture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment