Popular Posts

Monday, February 21, 2011

Gran Torino

Right now I'm listening to this great young singer from the UK named Jamie Cullum. I discovered him on the credit roll of the Clint Eastwood's movie Gran Torino. I fell in love with his voice & the way his fingers roll across the piano. I envy people who can play the piano. When I was young I played the flute. I was pretty good for a kid but I didn't have aspirations of running away with the orchestra beyond sophomore year of high school. At that age it wasn't cool to be in the band or orchestra so I opted for science & calculus. Yeah, much cooler Amy. I also took French instead of Spanish. Another colossal mistake. As an adult it's nice to know a romance language but really, how often does someone at a party ask, "Anyone know how to play the flute and translate Le Petit Prince?" Ok, well there was that one time in college but I was drunk.

I'd love to hear Botti play Gran Torino with Cullum backed by an orchestra. The song is so purposeful. One of my favorite lines: "Your world is nothing more than all the tiny things you left behind." So true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment